Types of licences

there are 2 types of the marine licence

  • General Marine Licence – the standard licence for adults aged 16 & up.
  • Restricted marine licence – for those aged 12 to under 16 years.
    • Holders of a restricted marine licence may act as master of a recreational vessel only if:
      • Operating during daylight hours between sunrise and sunset
      • Operating at speeds of less than 10 knots
      • Not operating a vessel that is towing a person, another vessel or object.

If you’re after the Personal Watercraft (jetski) licence, you’ll need to have a marine licence and be over the age of 16 years.

If you have your restricted marine licence, when your turn 16:

  • you’ll get a full marine licence using the same card
  • you won’t have to follow the restrictions 
  • you’ll be able to take the PWC (jet ski) test if you want.
Scroll to Top